CNCF Cloud Native Sustainability Week
The CNCF Global Week of Cloud Native Sustainability is an event organized by the CNCF TAG Environmental Sustainability and the wider Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) community to address the emerging topic of environmental sustainability in the cloud native industry and open source space. The event aims to engage with the community and IT industry as a whole, get a better understanding of the current environmental sustainability landscape, and promote collaboration and knowledge sharing on the topic.
During the second week of October 2023 (W41), the CNCF community groups around the globe will organize meetups in their cities with a focus on cloud native sustainability. These meetups can be organized by anyone interested in supporting the effort. Additionally, the CNCF Environmental Sustainability Technical Advisory Group (TAG ENV), will host a virtual meetup. The recordings of the virtual and recorded in person event will be uploaded to this playlist on YouTube.
|Meetups around the globe
|Daily Blog posts
|Virtual Mini Conference
|Daily Livestreams on YouTube
We will host 21 local meetups happening across 16 countries and 4 continents. Below, you see a visual representation of all the local meetups.
|Sam Yuan, Jiaju Zhang
|Shane Wang, Hongbo Wang
|Brasil, São Paulo
|Elias Quintero, Samantha Upegui
|Andrea Giardini, Tim Carry
|Aydin Mir Mohammadi
|Antonio Di Turi, Max Körbächer
|Sergio Méndez, Jefferson Molina
|Nancy Chauhan, Prakash Mishra, Humble Devassy Chirammal
|Manikandan, Vinothini, Vijayabharathi
|Michel Murabito, Federica Leonino
|Seokho Son, Hoon Jo
|Stéphane Este-Gracias (@sestegra)
|Niki Manoledaki, Imma Valls
|Phil Huang (@pichuang), Sarah Hsu, Moris Wu
|USA, South Florida
|Angel Ramirez, Hitomi Mizugaki, Cristher Castro
|Karen Chu, Kris Woyna
Virtual Mini Conference on Oct.12
Virtual Mini Conference is a meetup organized by the CNCF Environmental Sustainability Technical Advisory Group (TAG ENV). It is a 2-hour event with presentations both from the community speakers and TAG ENV maintainers. You can find the event on the CNCF community page here. The recording can be found here.
|Welcome to the Cloud Native Sustainability Week 2023
|Reducing your environmental impact with the Linkerd service mesh
|Embracing Edge Computing with Kepler - A Dive into Remote Monitoring, Centralized Dashboarding, and Visualization
|Towards Optimized Microservices Performance & Sustainability via Istio, Kepler and Smart Scheduling
|The road to Scaphandre v1.0 : Challenges and improvements to come on IT energy consumption evaluation
Livestreams on YouTube by kubesimplify with Host Saiyam (Civo) and Divya (Suse)
|Henrik Rexed (Dynatrace)
|Mark Bjornsgaard (Deep green)
|Dheeraj Ravula (Avesha)
|David Aronchick (Expanso)
|Saiyam (Civo) Divya (SUSE)
- Gain better insights into the current Cloud Native Sustainability Landscape: Engage with the community and IT industry as a whole to develop a deeper understanding of the Cloud Native Sustainability Landscape.
- Identify knowledge gaps: Recognize domain areas for cloud native environmental sustainability where further exploration and knowledge sharing is needed.
- Foster project collaboration: Encourage participants to actively collaborate on further development and improvement of existing projects and tools that pertain to the field of cloud native sustainability.
- Raise awareness: Enhance awareness and knowledge sharing around the topic of cloud native environmental sustainability.
- Promote TAG ENV and CNCF: Promoting the #tag-environmental-sustainability and raising awareness about the CNCF in general.
- Survey: distributing a survey to gather information on end user adoption of cloud native sustainability.
- Badges: providing badges from credly for organizers and potentially speakers.
This document describes the goals in more detail and the plan how we can achieve them.
Contact and Resources
Please reach out to us via the CNCF Slack workspace in the channel tag-env-sustainability, if you have any comments or questions. All resources are publicly accessible. If you are a meetup organizer, we have a tracking issue to collect input and questions.
- General Tracking Issue: https://github.com/cncf/tag-env-sustainability/issues/95
- General Meetup Organizer Guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s28lqqc3IBAMw4T7n13zfyAuUEEc3I4_xhPxCLA4_dk/edit?usp=sharing
- Milestone to track the event organization tasks: https://github.com/cncf/tag-env-sustainability/milestone/3
- Google Drive folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pdBQTxlpvDr0QFIuIpjfERau1IQNfdaX?ths=true
The event is organized solely by volunteers who dedicate their spare time, making it a true community effort. Without the collective contributions of everyone involved, this event would not have been possible. Thank you to each and every community member for your support and contributions!
Special thanks to Kristina Devochko, Leonard Pahlke, Nancy Chauhan, Mercy Bamiduro and the wider TAG ENV community to help organise the event. Many thanks to all the local meetup organizers and the entire CNCF team for their support.
Was this page helpful?
Glad to hear it! Please tell us how we can improve.
Sorry to hear that. Please tell us how we can improve.